Anand,

> However, I noticed that "archive quaratine to" is checked only on RCPT TO
> addrs and not for MAIL FROM addrs.  This means that amavisd-new is only
> able to archive inbound mail.

Not so, archival quarantine works for mail in any direction, it is just that
there is no option to selectively turn it on/off based on sender address,
it is only possible to be selective based on recipient address
(regardless of it being local or not).

> Suppose we host the domain example.com, and [EMAIL PROTECTED] has an LDAP
> setting for amavisArchiveQuarantineTo.  When [EMAIL PROTECTED] sends mail to
> [EMAIL PROTECTED], then amavis will not
> create a archive quarantine copy for that SMTP transaction.

Only if the catchall setting for quarantining is false.

> IMHO archival requirements definitely need archiving in both directions.
> Any thoughts on how hard checking and quarantining MAIL FROM addr also will
> be?

Does it address your question, or did you have something else in mind?