I have half the answer:

sa-learn.pl had a null user in the init section, so anything with GLOBAL
and ip of none was understandable.
That made sa default to 'GLOBAL' (not, its not! A test of any
emailaddress with a +100 score in GLOBAL did not work.  Change it so
'vscan' did.

I found some in there that had GLOBAL AND ip addresses, so there is some
automated process doing it that I need to track down.