Jo,

> So I've been tracking down some issues with SpamAssassin rulesets firing
> and/or misfiring, and we might have stumbled on the answer.
> SpamAssassin is apparently expecting that Amavis/Milter would forge a
> Does this jive with your understanding of reality?

Yes, I believe so.

> Is this a config option that I'm overlooking?

No config option. A milter helper program (either the one supplied,
or Petr Rehor's one) does insert a faked Received header by itself
into a mail file it prepares for amavisd.

In a Postfix or dual MTA setup, the first MTA instance inserts
its Received header, so SA should see the information it needs
one way or another. Also envelope sender address is supplied
to SA by prepending an artificial Return-Path to mail header.