>>> If running 2.4.2, and SA 3.1.4, add LOCAL_STATE_DIR => '/var/lib', here:
>>>
>>> #   LOCAL_RULES_DIR   => '/etc/mail/spamassassin',
>>>     LOCAL_STATE_DIR   => '/var/lib',
>>> #see man Mail::SpamAssassin for other options
>>>
>>> stop amavisd and run amavisd debug-sa, see if it now reads the rules
>>> from the new directory.
>
>> No.  That will change your configuration directory.  You don't need to
>> do ANYTHING - really.  It Just Works.
>
> It Just Works if using amavisd-new >= 2.4.3 OR spamassassin >= 3.1.5,
> neither is true in this case.

I have amavisd-new-2.3.3 and just installed the latest spamassassin via tar
and install.  I ran sa-update and it built the /var/lib/.. version
directory.  What about the stuff in /etc/mail/spamassassin?

With those versions, what exactly do I need to edit to ensure sa-updated
things are being used?

And where do I stick other rules like those from SARE if I want to use them
now?

Thanks,
Scott