Thanks to all for your answers.

Peter:
>you will always have to restart amavisd before it reads in any rules.
yes, i do this with the following alias
alias sendmail-start-all="(/usr/sbin/sendmail
-C/etc/mail/sendmail-rx.cf -L sm-mta-rx -bd -qp && /usr/sbin/sendmail
-L sm-mta-tx -bd -q15m && /usr/local/sbin/amavisd start)"

>I have a very similar setup and it works well for me. However I did not
>symlink the files, but copied them to /var/amavis/.spamassassin/user_prefs
Not working too

Daniel:
>> SpamAssassin 3.0.6 (2005-12-07)
>That's really old...  Lots of new features in 3.1.x, not the least is
>which is sa-update (new rules provided periodically).
That's the version shipped with RHEL4 :( , I retrieved the last rpm
version from http://dag.wieers.com but cannot install it (conflicts).

Jakob:
>You can check what rules spamassassin loads using
>spamassassin --debug --lint .
>Take care that you run this command as users amavis(or vscan) an nor as
>root, i.e. do a
>su - amavis

There's a nologin in the /etc/passwd for the amavis' shell
# su - amavis
# id
uid=0(root) gid=0(root)
groups=0(root),1(bin),2(daemon),3(sys),4(adm),5(tty),6(disk),10(wheel),48(apache),1002(yawtb),1502(spamm)
I change it to bash, su - amavis (now it's ok) and there is no errors
reported by spamassassin --lint -D. Rules seem to be loaded, for
example:

debug: config: read file /usr/share/spamassassin/70_sare_stocks.cf
debug: using "/etc/mail/spamassassin" for site rules dir

Mark:
# amavisd debug-sa
Argument "1,all" isn't numeric in numeric gt (>) at
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5/Mail/SpamAssassin.pm line 245.
debug: SpamAssassin version 3.0.6
debug: config: read file /usr/share/spamassassin/70_sare_stocks.cf
debug: using "/etc/mail/spamassassin" for site rules dir
debug: config: read file /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf
debug: using "/var/lib/amavis/.spamassassin/user_prefs" for user prefs file
debug: config: read file /var/lib/amavis/.spamassassin/user_prefs

OK, finally I get it working by changing my alias to
alias sendmail-start-all="'(/usr/sbin/sendmail
-C/etc/mail/sendmail-rx.cf -L sm-mta-rx -bd -qp && /usr/sbin/sendmail
-L sm-mta-tx -bd -q15m && (/usr/local/sbin/amavisd start |
/usr/local/sbin/amavisd reload))"

that correclty (re)starts amavis

All is fine now; sorry,

Vincent