Jona wrote:

> Hi!
> I'm new to this list, this is my first post.

> I'm planning to set up a personal spam filtering gateway. It should
> collect mail from several remote POP servers, scan them through amavis
> and make them available through an IMAP server.
> I managed to figure out how to configure every piece of software
> involved, there is only one step that causes a bit of trouble. In fact
> there is no need for any MTA in this setup. Amavis will get the mail
> from fetchmail using plain SMTP and should pass it to dovecot.
> I planned that Amavis would pass the mail on to procmail which stores it
> in the MailDir format for dovecot to read it. The problem is that Amavis
> doesn't support to relay directly to procmail or any other MDA. That
> would mean that I have to use an MTA for the sole purpose of relaying
> mail between Amavis and procmail. That's a bit of overkill IMHO.
> I read in the documentation that Amavis can call sendmail via the
> command line. Is this interface flexible enough to call procmail
> instead? Is anybody aware of a wrapper script?
> Perhaps there is also an easy way to configure postfix to act as an MDA.

> Did anybody have to deal with this kind of setup in the past?

> Best regards,
> Jona Joachim

I might do it like so, which I think might be a typical suggestion:

 fetchmail-> postfix-> amavisd-new-> postfix-> maildir

I would think a very basic postfix setup with something like this
might work (send mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] or [EMAIL PROTECTED]):

alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
home_mailbox = Maildir/
mydestination = host.example.com, localhost
myhostname = host.example.com
mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8 192.168.0.0/16
myorigin = example.com
relayhost = [host.myisp.com]
content_filter = smtp-amavis[127.0.0.1]:10024

http://www.postfix.org/faq.html#maildir
http://www.postfix.org/BASIC_CONFIGURATION_README.html
http://www.postfix.org/STANDARD_CONFIGURATION_README.html#local_network
http://www.ijs.si/software/amavisd/README.postfix.txt

I don't have suggestions on procmail. The configuration above
will require some tweaking.