> When spamassassin is not called, score=x is reported.
> When score is undefined, score='-' is reported.

Yes. Actually both the '-' and 'x' mean the same thing, i.e. score
is not known (normally because SA was not called). It is just that
'-' appears in X-Spam-Score header field and an 'x' in other fields
and in the log.

The inconsistency was introduced when I decided to prefer 'x' to
visually better distinguish it from negative scores, while I kept
the '-' in X-Spam-Score for backwards compatibility.