Mike,

> (host 127.0.0.1[127.0.0.1] said: 421 4.3.2 Service shutting down, closing
> channel (in reply to end of DATA command))

amavisd-new is closing its end of the session.
This only happens when it encounters a serious problem.
Look into its log to see what the problem was.

> This appears to be Amavisd-new rejecting the message from being accepted
> for scanning.

It is not rejecting a message, it is failing,
telling MTA to retry later (hoping you will fix the problem meanwhile).

> Most mail seems to be coming through fine, so in general
> the system is working.  I looked into the issue and noticed that every
> message that is being rejected has a '?' (question-mark) character as part
> of the sender address.  Is amavisd-new intentionally rejecting this
> messages?

No, it is not rejecting messages simply because of unusual characters
in a mail address.

> If so wouldn't it be better to reject using a 500 code rather
> than a 400?

No, it is a temporary failure, and you are supposed to track it down
and fix the problem. If 5xx were used, message would be bounced,
quite likely unwarrantedly.

> All the messages causing this message do appear to be Spam BTW, so
> delivery isn't an issue.  It's just that they're cluttering up the queue.

Look in amavisd log, turn up log level if necessary, fix the problem
which is causing processing shutdown.