Nicklas,

> I finally found the root of the problem. The QMQP code in qmail have
> hardcoded timeouts set. 10 seconds for connect and 60 seconds for
> read/write. If amavisd processing takes longer than 60 secs you get the
> early MTA connection drop.
>
> I found the following patch by Eric Hess on the www.qmail.org page
> http://www.ehuss.org/qmail/qmqpc-timeout.tar.gz which would be great
> if you could mention somewere in the amavisd docs.

That's great news, I'm glad you found the culprit!

I'll see that it gets mentioned somewhere, at least
in RELEASE_NOTES and in the qmqpqq patch.

> clamav still times out though on zero byte members in compressed (zip)
> archives.

The 2.4.5-pre1 is delayed somewhat, but I'll ask you to test your
sample when I prepare the promised pre-release which will include
updated timeouts code for virus scanners.