Dino wrote:

> I've posted this in the spamassassin user list, but I'm told I should
> be posting on the amavisd user list concerning this issue.

>> From what I can tell, the bayes database is not checking any messages at all.

How did you determine that? It's not too difficult to know for sure.

>> I keep traing the spam filter every night, but the same messages that I have
>> trained the database as spam mesages are still not getting blocked.

Typically Bayes is not the only thing that determines if a message is
blocked or not (but it can help push the score toward that goal).

>> Same issue with the ham messages. So, I've checked the configuration of SA
>> during
>> my discussions on the SA user list, so the problem possibly lies with
>> amavisd.
>> Your help on this particular issue would be appreciated.

Assuming you are using standard DB based Bayes, remember that you
should always learn messages as the amavisd-new user and debug as the
amavis user also. The Bayes files must also be owned by the amavis
user or you will not be able to write to them. Let's say your amavis
user is 'amavis':

See how many spam (nspam) and ham (nham) are in the database (under
the amavis user):

su amavis -c 'sa-learn --dump magic'
or:
sudo -H -u amavis sa-learn --dump magic

Debug bayes as the amavis user:
(get a sample from me if you need one):
wget http://www200.pair.com/mecham/spam/sample-spam.txt

su amavis -c 'spamassassin -D bayes < sample-spam.txt'
or:
sudo -H -u amavis spamassassin -D bayes < sample-spam.txt

Also something like:
su amavis -c 'sa-learn -D --spam < sample-spam.txt'

See if debug shows any problems.

If you are using a recent version of amavisd-new you can run it in
debug-sa mode and limit some of the output:

amavisd stop
amavisd -d bayes debug-sa

don't forget to start amavisd back up when you are finished.
Also look at the X-Spam-Status headers and see if any BAYES rules hit:

        FORGED_RCVD_HELO=0.135, L_P0F_Linux=-0.1]