> Who owns /var/run/clamav ?
>
> Let's assume it is owned by clamav

Correct.

> If so, you would want:
> LocalSocket /var/run/clamav/clamd
> User clamav

Already set that way.

> AllowSupplementaryGroups yes

This is not turned on, but the same default configuration works just
fine on my test server.  (That didn't have older versions that were
upgraded via Yum)

> and you would want to add the clamav user to the same group the
> amavisd-new user belongs to (typically amavis or vscan).

The user clamav is already a member of the amavis group.  The packages
install that way.

> You need to actually send a virus through (like eicar) while debugging
> to get the real picture of why clamd failed.

Where would I look once the test virus was sent?  Are you talking about
the Amavis (or Clam) log files?

--
Jason Byrns
System Administrator