>> Romaric,

>>>  >Perhaps you should be looking for a more agile distribution :)
>>>
>>> Actually I prefer Gentoo :), but the server was installed with Debian
>>> and I can't stop it...
>>>

>> So don't stop it, install a substitute and reroute mail  :)
>>

> If I had time...

The newest Debian package is of course 2.4.2 which is already getting
kind of old. Newer versions of amavisd-new definitely have some
features that make it worth upgrading. Consider keeping Debian
but moving away from the Debian amavisd-new package.

http://www200.pair.com/mecham/spam/amavisd-new-etch-migration.html

I just finished writing this (so it is not fully 'seasoned') but I have
been testing it for the last few hours. Seems to work as advertised (but of
course every system is a little different so YMMV). Just something to consider.