Thank you for your reply,
at least there is one more person experiencing the problem... Me too,
I've rebuilded every single package from CPAN...

==> There is no kernel issue because 2.4.27 and 2.6 have the same
behaviour.
==> It seems to be a caused by using the latest cpan versions of the
packages (at least this seems to apply to both of us)

Me either, I'm no perl developer, however as I've written in my first
message I debugged as deep as possible into the perl code of amavis - it
freezes when executing the library call from Unix::Syslog - which is
binary.
Even tracing the system call gives no additional information. Something
seems to block the read/write call to /dev/log socket - but I can't
understand why this should or even could happen...

Any more ideas? Are some more people experiencing this problem?

Regards,

Daniel