Dave McGuire wrote:
>    Hey folks.  I gather from various sources that it's now considered
> undesirable to hard-whitelist sender addresses.  I understand some of
> the reasoning behind this, and that is fine...but I do have one
> situation in which it might be more desirable for me to hard-
> whitelist or hard-blacklist a sender address rather than simply
> adding or subtracting a score to the final SpamAssassin score.
>
>    The most obvious situation that comes to mind is addresses from
> which one receives a very large number of messages...the system ends
> up spending a great deal of processor cycles scanning messages
> unnecessarily.  While that may not be a problem on smaller sites, my
> installation is somewhat large and this does become an issue.  I'm
> continually impressed by the efficiency of amavisd (very zippy
> despite being written in Perl), but still, burning lots of CPU
> unnecessarily is something that I would like to avoid.
>
>    What I would like to do is whitelist certain sender addresses in
> such a way that they don't get passed through SpamAssassin or virus
> scanners at all.  Ideally I'd like that list to reside in a database
> server (MySQL or PostgreSQL) but I'd settle for flat files if necessary.
>
>    If this is indeed possible in amavisd, are there any compelling
> reasons NOT to do it, and if not, can someone point me in the right
> direction for how to set that up?  (would that be

One compelling reason... you cannot control or influence the infection
rates of remote systems.

It is staggering how many corporate and home PCs are infected with
various forms of malware, including botting software.  User address
books are routinely culled to supply bot email address databases.

I personally would never blindly entrust my system's security to some
other user or admin, especially just to save some cycles.

MrC