Nate,

> I've read all the back threads regarding purge performance in the
> logging database, specifically in mysql.  It seems like a still
> pending issue.  In our application where we are increasing the rows
> in the msgs table by roughly 1million per day, purging the database
> creates an *extreme* load.
>
> In testing, I've attempted purge of the msgs table, and under load
> I'm getting roughly 25records/second deleted.  Regardless the method
> (individual record deletes, or as a single query).  I pull the
> foreign keys and I can get 3000records/second deleted.
>
> Is the only reason for foreign keys to keep the database clean?  Can
> I do away with them and clean it up manually without causing any problems?

A purpose of 'FOREIGN KEY ... ON DELETE RESTRICT' is to keep a database
tidy, not allowing to remove a record that is still being referenced.
It may be removed if desired.

A purpose of 'FOREIGN KEY ... ON DELETE CASCADE' is to let deletion
remove dependent records automatically, along with a record being deleted.
If ON DELETE CASCADE is removed, these other records need to be removed
explicitly in a separate operation. If both deletions together
take less time than a single deletion with an implied second deletion,
then it would be worth removing ON DELETE CASCADE.

With my tests using PostgreSQL it was worth letting SQL do a
cascading deletion on its own. Don't know about MySQL, which
I abandoned for my amavisd SQL logging because purging of old
records was so slow.