Bill Landry wrote:
> Adam Gibson wrote:
>> Gary V wrote:
>>> (have not tried it though). Make sure your update script is a recent
>>> one that tests the downloads before employing them and consider
>> This is one of the most important steps IMHO.  I would make sure the
>> script tests the dat files before copying them into place.  The scripts
>> that I have used over the years tests the dat files with the eicar virus
>> test pattern to make sure they work before copying them into place.
>
> This issue here is not whether the virus signature files work or not, it's
> whether one of them is corrupted or not.  A corrupted signature file will
> cause
> clamd to silently crash and no longer be available for message scanning.  The
> test that needs to be done on ClamAV signature files:
>
>       clamscan --quiet -d /path/to/sigfile
>
> will detect corrupted signature files, and thus can prevent them from being
> moved into the production directory.  Most, if not all, of the download
> scripts
> available on the SaneSecurity site
> (http://www.sanesecurity.com/clamav/usage.htm) enable this testing prior to
> usage.
>
> Bill

I think we are saying the same thing.  By checking to make sure it
detects eicar before copying the dat files over it also makes sure the
dat files are not corrupt.  The dat files are initially downloaded to a
temporary staging area which does not impact the running clamd.  Only
after testing the dat files to see if they properly detect the eicar
test virus do they get copied into the default clam dat signature
database directory.  This solves both problems at the same time.