Of additional note, when I add a little more debugging code to
amavisd in the penpals sections, it seems regardless if a domain is
local or not (or even in cases where @local_domain_maps is undefined
i find the following:

lookup(0,$sender,@{ca('local_domains_maps')})  ALWAYS returns Y

This is a result of having a wildcard (@.) entry in my mysql users
table which specifies @. as local.

By changing this to N in the database, it seems to have solved the
majority of my issue.

- Nate