At 08:32 AM 9/11/2007, Benedict White wrote:
>Firstly I would like to thank Mark Martinec for an excellent piece of code!

I second that!!

>I have a server (well I run about 10 or so now)
>
>the setups are all postfix MTA to Amavisd with Spamassassin, using
>Razor, Pyzor and DCC.
>
>What I need to know is how far I can push the maximum number of
>child processes (max_servers) in postfix and amavisd?

My rule of thumb is apx 5 processes per CPU/Core.  That seems to keep
the CPU loaded with body scanning while some other slower processes
that require more time than cpu (disk/network) complete.  I've gone
as high as 10 per CPU and it's a little more efficient; however, the
memory requirements become pretty extreme.

>Also, as one of my servers rejects 70% of the mail that hits it, do
>I need to have the same number of smtp threads in postfix as well as
>amavisd or can I get away with less amavisd severs?

Incoming smtp connections are always going to be much much greater
than amavis smtp connections.  For instance, a 4 core server here I
run 750 smtpd maximum processes, while amavis gets 20.  The reason is
there are considerably more incoming connections to the mail server
which either a) take a long time to complete due to network
connections/large attachments, and b) a lot of incoming connections
get rejected immediately by RBLs and never reach amavis.

Another item i've noticed which has required an increase to postfix
smtp maxproc is there are a ton of either open relays or malware
infected machines out there that open up a smtp connection, and sit
idle never sending anything.  By default postfix will wait 5 minutes
before disconnecting them.  So to solve the issue I've increased
allowable smtp connections and also added smtpd_timeout = 30s in main.cf.

- Nate