Jo,

> I may have overlooked the following part of README.lookups.  But I have
> a question: if I explicitly change the default for @. so that all mail
> received on the system is considered local, that will affect outbound
> SMTP-AUTH mail won't it?

outbound SMTP-AUTH mail? Not sure what you have in mind.

Internally-generated mail and mail submitted by authenticated
roaming (or home) users is normally identified by 'originating'
flag, which is independent from local domains (which examine
recipients domains).

> Is this doing what I need, in terms of affect mynetworks?
> Or is this a red herring?
>
> README.lookups:
> Special handling of optional SQL field 'users.local'

I think it is a red herring.

- local_domains checks where mail is going TO
- 'originating' flag tells where mail is coming FROM