Paolo,

> I have a linux server with the latest version of amavisd and SpamAssassin.
> Sometimes some mail cause amavisd child to hang. After that the server
> stop delivering mail to recipient and increasing load of the server, and
> i must kill amavisd child.
> I have set the debug level og amavisd to 5, and what i see is that
> processing mail is stopped after CALLING SA check:
>
> Sep 28 08:48:53 C015689-posta2 amavis[10934]: (10934-01) timer set to
> 318 s for SA (was 478 s)
> Sep 28 08:48:53 C015689-posta2 amavis[10934]: (10934-01) calling SA
> parse, SA version 3.2.3, 3.002003, data as GLOB
> Sep 28 08:48:53 C015689-posta2 amavis[10934]: (10934-01) CALLING SA check
>
> what can i do? I can't understand...

So what happens to a process 10934 afterwards (search for "\(10934-01\)"
in the log). If eventually the control returns and the process continues
(perhaps after several minutes, or after a timeout), then the reason for
long processing time needs to be found in SpamAssassin. Similarly, if
control never returns to amavisd (i.e. a process crashed), it did so
in the SpamAssassin code, and a reason must be found there.

The bet way to do it is to find the message causing a problem (e.g.
stealing it from a Postfix queue, or from a temporary directory
in use by the spinning amavisd process), and feed it manually
to a command line spamassassin, with debugging enabled:

  # su vscan -c 'spamassassin -t -D <0.msg'

Alternatively, the SpamAssassin logging could be enabled in the
amavisd process:  # amavisd debug-sa
although this produces lots of output on stderr, which might
be difficult to analyze.

Possible reasons for long processing within amavisd are bayes auto-expiry
runs, or some problematic regular expressions in rules, most likely
in SARE rules.