On Jan 30, 2008, at 7:40 AM, Mark Martinec wrote:
> Sure, if you like it. All you have to do is assign an appropriate
> SQL clause in amavisd.conf to match the schema, e.g.:

I know.  I'm just trying to avoid differences from the stock
databases when possible.  And I'm wondering what value the mailaddr
table brings.  I don't see any.

>> After looking at the the tables, and testing repeatedly with some
>> sample datasets, it strikes me that amavisd should probably be doing
>> this.  The size of repeated data isn't large enough to cause a
>> problem, and dropping the join improves performance on both mysql and
>> postgres even with the larger tables.  I used 100k and 1mil table
>> sizes for my example with 100 entries per address, and it still came
>> out faster.
>
> How many entries are there normally in SQL based w/b lists?

My personal machine has 1k recipients, and this table is only ~280
entries.

> Does a lookup take more than a few milliseconds?

On my machine, or in the tests?  The larger tests obviously take
longer.  Without the join, however, it was always < 1sec no matter
how big the table was.

> Whitelisting without additional checks (DKIM or SPF or IP -based)
> is too unreliable, and blacklisting needs should probably

Eh?  Let's save theory conversations for a different topic.  I just
mean optimization of the existing tables.

> For basic automatic whitelisting the pen pals feature accomplishes
> this job quite well. All a user needs to do is communicate with
> the remote user, and replies are whitelisted (to some extent)
> automatically.

Most whitelist entries I have seen appear to be financial-services
mailing lists.  (thus no two-way traffic)  No, I don't know why those
are getting high scores.  Need to chat with the users.

>> Is there any reason that this change shouldn't be adopted by amavisd
>> in 2.6 ?
>
> Compatibility.
> A simple setting in amavisd.conf adapts it to a schema in use.

I'm worried about ongoing database changes.  I'd much rather have the
amavisnewsql code using the stock tables.  That's why I'm asking
about the value of the mailaddr table...

--
Jo Rhett
and other randomness