Daniel Mayer [COUGA.net] wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we are working on evolving our amavisd-new setup from one to two machines.
> Box 1 providing the final delivery to the mailbox and box 2 performing spam
> and virus filtering guided by amavisd-new.
>
> The question is where to point the MX's of the domains to? Box 1 could accept
> the mail and forward it to amavis and then get it reinjected for final
> delivery. Another option would be to install postfix also on box 2, accept
> mail there in the first place, scan it and then forward it to box 1 for
> delivery.
>
> Do you have any recommendations? Which is the best-practice for this?

I prefer the second approach:
- box2 is a mail gateway (mx and filtering)
- box 1 is mail store (pop/imap/...)

This role separation is more natural. you can add/replace the gateway
box without having to deal with user access (imap/pop), and conversely,
you can add/replace mail stores without disturbing the mx and filters.

this also saves one trip.