Wazir,

> I got an email with the following in the header.  However, when I
> released it, there was no attachment, just some html text from a guy in
> Russia.

amavisd does not strip attachments: neither when a message is passed directly,
nor on releasing from a quarantine.

> Am I understanding this right?  This tells me that there was a
> file with a .exe extension, which was blocked.

No, there was no attachment. There was a single MIME leaf part
wrapped within a multipart/alternative container.

The leaf node was (MIME-)declared as text/plain,
no filename was suggested in a header,
and the file(1) utility recognized it as some
executable (not a Microsoft executable).
It is quite possible the file(1) verdict was wrong,
as can sometimes happen with text in 8-bit character sets.