On 4/19/08, MK  wrote:
> At 17:59 18.04.2008, you wrote:
> >What is your hardware like and how many $max_servers are you running?
>
> $max_servers=15
>
> its a dual xeon, 2gb, scsi hw-raid (10.000 u/m)
> i dont think it is a hw issue ... like said CPU load is at 40% avg.
>
> >If you run amavisd-new at $log_level = 2; for a minute or so, you will
> >get some TIMING data that will show that 95% of the time spent is on
> >spamassassin scanning. SA is CPU intensive and queries many external
> >network resources (RBLs etc.), so additionally it is subject to high
> >delays. A local caching DNS server helps here.
>
> ah ...  i will investigate in DNS lookups...
>
> >If other resources like
> >Razor, Pyzor and DCC are utilized,
>
> no.
>
> >you can expect further delays
> >(mostly from Pyzor - especially if using the default server). There
> >have been a few posts looking for the same type info, like this one
> >for example:
> >
> >http://marc.info/?l=amavis-user&m=120283445607760
> >
> >It would be cool if someone were to take the time to create a document
> >outlining all the ways that SA could be performance tuned. There seems
> >to be an increasing need.
> >
> >On a powerful system with a lot of $max_servers running, eventually
> >one may reach the point where the disks can't keep up.
>
> is it just the amavids $max-servers ?
> i switched it from 10 to 15 - showing no effect at all...
> shouldn't sendmail/amavisd-milter/clamd be configured alike?

Did you adjust amavisd-milter (the -m switch) so amavis is actually
receiving messages on all children?
http://amavisd-milter.sourceforge.net/amavisd-milter.html
You can test by running amavisd-nanny.
I don't know sendmail, so I don't know if anything to needs to be
adjusted there.
BTW, 10 to 15 sounds close to the correct range on a 2GB machine.

> noticed that the number of processed messages is constant at
> approx 1-2 messages per second (which is NOT that much, i think).
> CPU load is avrg 40%.

Is the machine keeping up with mail traffic, or no? I mean, are you
receiving 1-2 messages per second, and all the messages are accepted
and delivered after a short delay - or is there a big delay when
trying to connect to your machine (longer than the expected time it
takes amavisd-new to process a message - which is probably anywhere
from 2 to 12 seconds on your hardware)? What do the TIMING entries
show?