On Mon, 2008-04-28 at 19:18 -0400, Sahil Tandon wrote:
> * Manish Kathuria <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2008-04-28 12:46:31 +0530]:
>
> > On Fri, 2008-04-25 at 21:41 +0200, Mark Martinec wrote:
> > > Manish,

> > > Which version of Net::Server ?  Are you sure the process 2440
> > > really did not exist (perhaps it existed as a result of starting
> > > amavisd twice by mistake) ?  Please see subroutine check_pid_file
> > > in /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/Net/Server/Daemonize.pm,
> > > it does try to check if a process whose ID was found in a pid file
> > > does exist, and it aborts only if finding a process is possible
> > > and the process was found. But I see the procedure is Linux-specific
> > > for no good reason - the kill 0 would do the same job more portably.
> >
> > I think I need to restate the problem and sort out the confusion. It
> > happened again during the weekend. There was an unclean shutdown and
> > amavisd did not start on its own automatically when the system was
> > restarted. I have checked the logs and I could not find any error
> > messages but since amavisd did not start, postfix stopped accepting and
> > queueing mails, which was indicated in the mail log. However this time,
> > amavisd could be started manually without deleting any .pid or .lock
> > files. So my presumption that amavisd could not automatically start
> > because of presence or .pid or .lock files was probably not correct.
> >
> > I am not being able to identify the reason because of which amavisd is
> > not getting automatically started when the system is booted after an
> > unclean shutdown. I have dealt with a number of amavisd installations
> > but have never faced this problem before. What needs to be done to
> > ensure that amavisd starts automatically even after an unclean system
> > shutdown or crash ?
>
> The rc script(s) that are responsible for launching amavisd-new should do so
> even if recovering from an unclean shutdown.  Can you confirm that
> amavisd-new starts on boot after a clean shutdown?  This might be an issue
> particular to your OS/setup than a fault in amavisd-new.

Your statement is right regarding the initialization scripts is right. I
have shutdown and started the system a number of times without facing
any problems. The problem occurs only in the case of unclean shutdown.

I had installed amavisd-new on Cent OS 5.1 using the RPM from the Dag
Wieers repository and have compared the start up script with earlier
versions from the same repository which are working without any problem.
Can't find any problem there.

--
Manish