mouss schrieb:
> Thomas Gelf wrote:
>> Amavisd-new seems to use localhost_name for it's own EHLO,
>> but is using $myheloname for it's own SMTP greeting banner
>> (and 250 reply to HELO)...
>
> if it helos with myhostname and this happens to be the hostname of the
> MTA, then the MTA will reject the connection. localhost is safer.
>
> note that as a proxy, amavisd-new has two sides: an smtp server and an
> smtp client. the hostname is for the server, and helo is only for the
> client side. there is no reason to make these sides "match".

The client/server part is pretty clear - that's not what I wanted to
be changed. I'm running amavisd-new mostly on dedicated (v)Servers,
receiving mail from front MX servers (not on the same host), and
forwarding it to internal relay servers. Each MTA and each filter
instance has it's own hostname and ip - and their HELO's are matching
them.

I agree that localhost is a safe option if amavisd-new is running on the
very same host as the MTA is running on. In larger setups this is not
the case, so having this configurable would be great - don't you think
so?

Regards,
Thomas Gelf