After updating Perl, amavis refused to start.  I solved it like this:
gzip the man directories
installpkg --reinstall perl-5.8.4-i486-3
delete /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.4/MIME
perl -MCPAN -e shell
  install Test
  Install Test::Harness
  install IO::File
  install MIME::Body

Obviously, this is for an old (10.0) version of Slackware, but it might
help somebody.  One of the following broke amavis:
Net::SMTP
Digest::MD5
Time::HiRes

IF ANYONE KNOWS WHICH OF THE ABOVE IS THE bAD bOY, PLEASE SAY SO!

Note that amavis would start in debug mode, both with and without the "user"
switch (-u USER) and not report any error.  At that point, 'telnet localhost
10024' connected (I did not wait to see if amavis would display any text).  But
when attempting to start normally, it hung - even when run under debug (with
'perl -wd amavisd', editing out the "-T" on the first line).  Note also that
amavis versions 2.4.0 and 2.6.0 behaved exactly the same way.

Advice for installers:
Rather than "install WHATEVER", first "i WHATEVER" and, if you already have the
required Perl module installed, keep your installed version.  Only install that
which your Perl is lacking.  "Don't fix it if it ain't broke."
--
gypsy