Hi Marc,

>> If I remember it right I did so as MySQL didn't allow me to use columns
>> not being part of my primary key for partitioning (if not using hashes).
>
> There is probably no harm done declaring a composite field as a primary
> key, knowing that one of its components is already known to be unique.

The problem is, that there is no way to keep an additional unique key
on the tables. MySQL docs are telling me:

"...every unique key on the table must use every column in the table's
partitioning expression." (this also includes the table's primary key,
since it is by definition a unique key...)

> For performance sake, make sure that the provided index still ensures
> quick access based on what used to be primary key (e.g. msgs.mail_id)
> (it probably does with MySQL, although it may not be so with other db).

Adding an additional index for mail_id should be fine - but how can I
guarantee it to be unique??

> I admit I hadn't played with partitions on MySQL beyond reading the docs
> and ensuring the new guarantees are obeyed by amavisd.
>
> Experience reports and recommendations are welcome.

I'll provide you with whatever you want - just help me to destroy my
concerns ;-) My intention has been to put the new servers into pro-
duction today (as old discs are filling up, and "garbage collection"
is taking ways too long - current db size: 125GB). Even if in this
case it could happen that I will get the same mail_id more times (once
per week) it should not do any harm if my "3rd-party-apps" are able
to handle it - is that correct? Or could amavisd-new somehow get into
trouble?

Many Thanks,
Thomas Gelf