Marc Muehlfeld <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Is there a way to configure the following in amavisd-new 2.5.1 (openSUSE
> 10.3):
>
> First scan an eMail if it is spam. And if it is and the spam-level is high
> enough so that the mail is discarded ($final_spam_destiny = D_DISCARD;), then
> don't do virus checking any more (because the mail would never get into a
> mailbox).
>
> My problem is, that sometimes when 5.000 to 10.000 backscatter mails reach my
> mailserver in a short time, all that mails are classified as spam with a
> score
> that ensure it reaches the level to be discarded. But they are scanned anyway
> for viruses. This is producing very high CPU load and slows down the
> mailserver in this situations.

I will let Mark respond definitively, but I do not believe what you are
trying to do is possible.  From the documentation[1]:

---

The logic is currently hard-wired into the program and can not be
influenced by configuration variables. The following order is used, the
first condition met decides the outcome:

   1. a virus is detected: mail is considered infected;
   2. contains banned name or type: mail is considered banned;
   3. spam level is above kill level for at least one recipient, or a
      sender is blacklisted: mail is considered spam;
   4. bad (invalid) headers: mail is considered as having a bad header.

This decision order explains why amavisd-new is not free to skip (to
optimize away) virus checks if a presence of a banned name or a bad
header is already known or can easily be determined. The order was
chosen with the intention that a more informative or a stronger
assertion is the one to base further mail delivery on, and to be quoted
in notifications and in the log. Even at the expense of possibly longer
processing time, it is more important to declare a mail infected than
complain about a bad header, a banned executable or spamy contents.

---

[1] http://www.ijs.si/software/amavisd/amavisd-new-docs.html#actions

--
Sahil Tandon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>