Jo,

> My understanding (and I've seen this work) is that it can match just
> the message-id, so that someone replying to an alias or a forwarded
> message matches the penpal.  (this is the case here)

Yes, it should work this way. There are a couple of other restrictions,
like recipient must be local, sender must be different from recipient,
outbound mail must have passed and must not have been a virus, inbound
sender must not belong to local domains, ...

Probably the best way to debug this one (if you still have records
in a database, and still have the message) is to re-send it with
the same envelope (e.g. with mini_sendmail) and have log level set
to 5, then search the log for 'penpals: '. Specifying a test sender
in  @debug_sender_acl = qw( ... )  is a good way to turn log level
fully up for this particular sender, so that other mail traffic won't
clutter the log.

You could also manually try the SQL clause in $sql_clause{'sel_penpals_msgid'}