As I'm not sure if it's Spamassassin's or amavisd-new's configuration
problem, I sent a similar mail to spamassasin list.

I have a mail setup, where the SMTP server (Postfix) is running on a
machine with a public IP address, and amavisd-new (2.5.4) and
spamassassin (3.2.4) are running on a "filter" server in a private LAN.

Basically, "mail" server receives mail via SMTP, and the mails are
checked on another machine. After checking, SMTP server delivers clean
mail to a host where the mail is stored.

I think DNSBL/RBL tests are not working, i.e. if I connect and send an
email via telnet from my home ADSL address (which is listed on Spamhaus'
PBL), I don't see the mail gets any extra points.

Are there extra configuration steps needed when amavisd-new is running
on a separate host (different from the SMTP server)?

URIBL checks are working fine, so it's not a DNS issue.

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org