On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 12:43 PM, Need Coffee <need.cof...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 11:02 AM, Mark Martinec
> <mark.martinec+ama...@ijs.si> wrote:
>>> It claims to have found an entry for u...@example.com "w/o IP address"
>>> (ip="none", I assume)
>>
>> Yes, that would normally be an:  u...@example.com|ip=none
>> At that point the AutoWhitelist.pm should also be
>> removing such database entry and replacing it with
>> a new one containing the ip part.
>
> It seems like this isn't always happening, or that two messages
> are being processed simultaneously for the same user and
> they're stomping on each other's result.
>
>>> even though searching the database confirms that
>>> an entry like that does not exist (I looked at all entries for
>>> u...@example.com).
>>
>> There may be some other reason why AutoWhitelist thinks a
>> record "u...@example.com|ip=none" exists. Try enabling
>> DBI module tracing (SQL database access), see: man DBI.
>> For example (assuming Bourne shell or alike):
>>
>> su vscan -c 'DBI_TRACE=2 spamassassin -t -D <0.lis' >0.log 2>&1
>
> Thanks for that... that helped quite a bit.
>
>>> SA claims the weight of this nonexistent entry is -187.24 which explains
>>> why the AWL is subtracting a large amount.
>>
>>> It then goes and adds the
>>> new /16 to the db with a high score (38.844) as it should.
>>
>> At that point the old record (assuming it existed) should
>> be deleted, so with a next attempt with a same message the
>> matching on "w/o IP address" should not occur.
>> Does it or does it not?
>
> Before I ran my test run, I found an ip=none entry sitting there.
> (It wasn't there 15 minutes ago.)  I quickly ran SA from the
> commandline.
>
> The test run did indeed delete the ip=none entry, but it also used
> it to score the message.  AWL subtracted 39 points, and I made
> sure that this was a new netblock (I changed it in the headers).
>
> I am running multiple servers against one database, each with
> many amavisd processes.  It is not unexpected that there may
> be multiple messages inbound to the same recipient at the same
> time -- so perhaps there is a bit of a race condition here?  How
> can the ip=none entry be made per-process or at least per-machine
> specific?
>
>>> The AWL MyISAM table checks OK, is cleaned nightly and is
>>> analyzed/optimized.  (If this has gone into SA-land and you consider it no
>>> longer relevant to amavisd, please let me know and I'll try there...)
>>
>> The SA 'users' ML would be more appropriate if you don't find the
>> solution soon.
>
> Understood, and thanks for your continued help.

For the archives because I think it is solved:

Even with amavisd you apparently have to configure trusted_networks
for SA.  I now have in local.cf the following which matches amavisd.conf's
@mynetworks:

clear_internal_networks
internal_networks 127/8
internal_networks 10/8

clear_trusted_networks
trusted_networks 127/8
trusted_networks 10/8

grep the debugging output of SA for 'networks' to see if it is warning
about this.
At least, that's how I discovered it (not the first time I grepped it,
or read it, but
somehow managed to miss the one line that said what the problem was).

Did I miss it in the amavisd docs too?

Thanks