On 4/5/09, Giuseppe Ghibò wrote:
> Hi, sorry for the OT, but I'd like to know other amavisd user experience
> about the
> autowhitelist.
>
> Currently it seems to become uneffective and unreliable, or even harmful.
> In fact many spammers now send you spam using your own (or your domain) name
> in "From "field, i.e. like if an email is sent by yourself. This often
> gives for the AWL
> a negative score of several points...(considering that the SPAM
> threshold is often around a score of 5).

The first two octets of the senders IP address are also recorded, so
AWL considers one sender address from two different /16 networks two
different records.

> Of course it's also true this one:
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/AwlWrongWay
>
> but I was wondering whether according to *current* users experience it
> is better to disable
> the AWL test. Maybe the loading of the AWL plugin in amavisd can be made
> conditional
> in amavisd.conf?
>
> Thanks.
> Bye
> Giuseppe.

Personally, I turn it off. You can either turn it off in local.cf -
'use_auto_whitelist 0' (or) disable the plugin in v310.pre (don't do
both - or you may get a --lint error).