Martin,

> Hi, I'm looking into moving from mailscanner to amavisd-new.
> Mailscanner tries to expand tnef attachments and replace them with the
> expanded contents. Can amavisd-new do this too? I saw that it "optionally
> decodes/unpacks/decompresses" tnef, but the docs weren't clear on whether
> tnef can be *replaced* or not.

Not really. The decoders (internal and external) are only used to
(optionally) prepare files to be checked by virus scanners, but
their result can not be used to reassemble/modify mail.

The only currently available mechanism for modifying mail body
is to invoke an external program like altermime or anomy_sanitizer.
Whatever results from these programs can be substituted for the
original mail. The intent is to provide a way for an external
program to add disclaimers or strip dangerous attachments.

The interface is somewhat geared towards altermime, but in principle
any program or shell script can be used in its place. The program is
given a file (filename as argument) and it may modify this file, which
is then collected by amavisd and forwarded. I'm not sure if altermime
can deal with tnef, but there may be some other program which can
do it.