Jarry,

> I have sendmail up and running. Now I have decided to install
> amavisd-new (as recomended, in "dual" configuration) but I'm
> not sure I understand those instructions correctly. Up to now
> (without amavisd-new) two instances of sendmail are running,
> started by sendmail start-up script with these options:

>   /usr/sbin/sendmail -bd -q30m -L sm-mta > /dev/null 2>&1

This one is the normal MTA, listening on port 25.

>   /usr/sbin/sendmail -Ac -q30m -L sm-cm  > /dev/null 2>&1

This one is a mail submission daemon, used for picking up locally
submitted mail. The -Ac option makes it use a config file submit.cf.

> Now, in "Readme.sendmail-dual.txt" there is:
> Start MTA-RX and MTA-TX daemons:
> # /usr/sbin/sendmail -C/etc/mail/sendmail-rx.cf -L sm-mta-rx -bd -qp
> # /usr/sbin/sendmail                            -L sm-mta-tx -bd -q15m
> Start queue runner for the MSP client queue as usual, if using it:
> # /usr/sbin/sendmail -Ac -L sm-msp-queue -q10m
>
> Do I have to replace those two commands in original sendmail's
> start-up script by these three new commands, or leave the content
> and just add these three new commands???

The value of -L option is mainly to facilitate identification,
as long as each running daemon uses its own name. You may leave
both the original MTA and MSA daemons as-is, and just add
the third one, with its own config file giben by a -C option.