Hi Peer,

I followed the related thread on your German Postfix ML - and while
I agree with most of your mail (I'm pretty sure Mark will give a more
detailed answer here ;-)) in this special case there is IMO also the
user (who configured the system) to blame for his issues, even if he
ran into a really special one I've never seen before.

As far as I remember all docs I used long time ago to set up my first
Amavis boxes clearly state that it is absolutely necessary to avoid
REJECTs by the postfix instance Amavis is reinjecting the mail to. It
should NOT do any checks that did not already happen at the first
instance.

Also your Postfix book explicitely states that it is NOT a good idea
to apply limitations on port 10025 (chapter 17.9.4) - you mentioned
performance reasons for doing so. The ISP-style Postifx-Amavis config
example at workaround.org is setting many config params to avoid issues
on port 10025 and also explains alias-related issues. This could be an
addition for the next release of your really fantastic book ;-)

The user that brought up this issue is using header checks with postfix.
In my believes (I must confess I did not read all config details in that
thread) adding "-o header_checks=" to his postfix on port 10025 would
solve this issue - even if I have no idea how he is able to generate
mail passing this check on the first postfix instance and hitting it on
the second one. A possible explanation could be that Postfix is doing
header_checks AFTER pre_queue filters. I do not have any experience with
such setups, so no idea if this assumption is true.

Nonetheless I cannot immagine any special case where this DSNs (in case
of REJECT) from Amavis would make sense - so as you did I'd also opt for
suppressing them.

Best regards,
Thomas Gelf