Helmut,

> >> after upgrading p5-Convert-UUlib-1.12 to p5-Convert-UUlib-1.30,1 on
> >> FreeBSD  7.2 the smtp-proxy dies randomly but reproducable. amavisd
> >> logs:
> >
> > This was probably what happened to me too. See other thread (Some email
> > messages stuck in queue).

Convert-UUlib-1.3/Changes

1.3 Sat Aug 29 01:24:35 CEST 2009
        - major changes, new bugs and changes in decoding behaviour are
          expected (but not intended).
        - major scanning and decoding speed-up (by a factor of 4),
          by replacing ultra-slow _FP_gets and improving IsKnownHeader
          (but fgets is *still* responsible for >50% if the time).
        - new option OPT_AUTOCHECK to disable O(n) UUCheckGlobalList
          call after every loadfile, majorly speeds up large decodes
          (easily by a factor of 10..100).
        - allow "Smerge -1" to call UUCheckGlobalList.
        - majorly speed up part insertion (still O(n), but much faster).
        - allow for 1023 octet headers instead of the standard
          255 octet ones.
        - support strcasestr, strcasecmp, strncasecmp for added speed.

> > Mark's solution fixed the problem for me.
> >
> > Quoting him:
> > "Comment our (or delete) entries in the @decoders list which
> > mention a 'do_ascii'"
>
> I guess this is a workaround but not a solution?! Mark?!

Certainly, a workaround. As it happened several times by now,
the uulib can cause problems, and as it is a compiled module,
it can easily crash the perl process. Years ago when virus scanners
were less equipped with their own decoders and dearchivers, the
use of Convert::UUlib (through do_ascii) was worth the risk,
but nowadays it seems its benefits do not outweigh a risk of
crashing (or worse, offering some exploitable security hole).

So it seems to me its use should better be disabled.

Nevertheless, sending a bug report with a sample file
to the maintainer of the Convert::UUlib module is certainly
a valuable gesture.