Manish,

> How can I stop some users from sending any kind of attachments along with
> their mails ? Further, I would like to block the attachment file extensions
> selectively on a per user basis. Is it possible to do so ? I plan to use
> Amavisd-new along with Postfix.

to block all outgoing attachments with amavisd you could maybe use

$banned_filename_re = new_RE(
  [ qr'^\.[a-zA-Z0-9]*$'   => 1 ],
);

To allow or to block certain attachments types on a per user basis you
can use a dedicated policy bank for this. Here you'll find some
examples:

http://www200.pair.com/mecham/spam/bypassing.html
http://www.ijs.si/software/amavisd/amavisd-new-docs.html#pbanks

If you use a sql database you could maybe use the field
"banned_rulenames" in the table "policy". Then it's necassary that you
define a set of banned rulenames for allowed and/or disallowed
filetypes per user.

See readme.sql-mysql:

banned_rulenames    varchar(64) default NULL  -- comma-separated list of
names mapped through %banned_rules to actual banned_filename tables

Daniel