Hi

I have two different modules that are dumping core and causing the
AMaViS child to close.  One is Razor2 and the other is SAVI-Perl.
I've been running AMaViS (currently 2.5.2) on RHEL4 using these two
modules for many years without problems, but recently two emails each
triggered a separate problem, one on each of these modules.  The
SAVI-Perl problem appears to be in libsavi, and is failing on the last
few versions of SAV, but is OK when using versions prior to that.

While I'm trying to get the authors to address their problems, I'm
also a bit surprised at how AMaViS behaved - it just closed, no logs,
no more processing, no file clean-up.  The end result was two problems
that were difficult to find, emails that were repeatedly retried with
no response code, and a steadily filling /var/spool/amavis directory.

I wonder if these sorts of things could (should?) be wrapped in an
eval(), and an appropriate response given back to the sending MTA
process, and a useful log message displayed.  Or perhaps there's a way
the master can detect such failures in its children?  When I use
"scan.pl" (from the SAVI-Perl utils) and "razor" to scan the
respective emails, glibc spits out a helpful error message, but this
doesn't show in the mail logs when AMaViS encounters the problem,
unless run in debug mode.

Cheers
Jeremy