Helmut,

Thanks for the sample.

> > > It is. Anyway, the last thing I updated was the p5-URI port on Jan
> > > 14th and 30 minutes later the problems began.
> > > BTW, only one single mail (from ~ 5.000 a day) is affectd by now...
>
> Finally, I was able to get the core file. And (surpise, surprise ;) )
> it is libc:
>
> Core was generated by `perl5.8.9'.
> (gdb) bt
> #0  0x2827e3ca in malloc () from /lib/libc.so.7
> #1  0x2827fb42 in realloc () from /lib/libc.so.7
> #2  0x280fba37 in Perl_safesysrealloc () from
> /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.9/mach/CORE/libperl.so
> #3  0x281447e8 in Perl_savestack_grow_cnt () from
> /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.9/mach/CORE/libperl.so
> #4  0x2816e02b in S_regcppush () from
> /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.9/mach/CORE/libperl.so
> #5  0x28172ba1 in S_regmatch () from
> /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.9/mach/CORE/libperl.so

This backtrace just corresponds to Perl running out of stack
during regexp evaluation.

> This GDB was configured as "i386-marcel-freebsd"
> The perl is from ports I presume. Which version?
> 5.8.9 multiThreaded

Running a multithreaded perl with an application that is heavy on
regexp evaluations (like SpamAssassin) is asking for trouble, especially
on FreeBSD, where by default a per-thread stack size is rather small.
Regular expressions in perl 5.8.* can require lots of stack space
on degenerated input strings.

In your case the crash happens in code produced by do_uri_tests()
in the Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::Check - both the SA 3.2.5 and 3.3.0
are alike in this respect. Just a plain regexp evaluation in a complex
regular expression with a degenerate input data.

Reconfiguring perl 5.8.9 with disabled multithreading will provide a
huge stack compared to yours, reducing the chance of a crash happening.
I believe the 5.10.* now uses heap for regexp evaluations, so
this would be another choice - perl 5.10.1 is in ports too, and
works very well with SpamAssassin.