Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 08:44:13 +0200
From: Alexander Wirt <formo...@formorer.de>
To: amavis-user@lists.sourceforge.net

Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 09:35:36 +0200
From: Alexander Wirt <formo...@debian.org>

> > For a long time, we've been patching in 3 $sa_.. variables for rules.  I
> > see 2.6.4 takes care of two fo the cases.  We had:
> >     rules_filename => $sa_rules_file,
> >     site_rules_filename => $sa_site_rules_file,
> >     userprefs_filename => $sa_userprefs_file,
>
> Unfortunatly that options weren't implemented as I suggested in my patch [1]
> in 2008. The patch would allow to apply the rulefiles per policybank in one
> instance. I have the patch productive since years (for example for
> lists.debian.org). Marc: are there any chances the patch will applied to
> amavisd-new?

At last. This will be in the next release. Thanks for a suggestion!

- added a configuration variable $sa_user_config_file, also member of
  policy banks. It can be set to a full file name of a 'user preferences'
  configuration file. Setting of $sa_user_config_file is normally done
  through a policy bank, not globally. SpamAssassin will be requested to load
  this configuration file through its read_scoreonly_config() method, which
  otherwise (in spamd) serves to load user's .spamassassin/user_prefs file
  when switching users. When $sa_user_config_file changes (through exiting
  a policy bank or loading another policy bank), an initial SpamAssassin
  configuration is restored through SpamAssassin's copy_config() method.

  Note that saving an original SpamAssassin configuration, loading a user
  configuration file, and restoring to the original configuration does not
  come cheap: it can take 200 ms for a load and restore, and 370 ms for the
  initial saving of the configuration (saving is only done once per child
  process, and only if needed). Saved configuration can occupy additional
  2 MB of virtual memory, so use the feature sparingly. No penalty occurs
  until a child process does its first loading of a user config file, so
  rarely activated or inactive policy banks using this feature come cheap.

  According to SpamAssassin documentation, a user preferences file can
  include scoring options, scores, whitelists and blacklists, etc.
  If 'allow_user_rules' is enabled (local.cf), then a user preferences
  file can also include rule definitions and privileged settings - but
  not the administrator settings.

  The feature is only available with SpamAssassin 3.3.0 (or later).

  Based on a suggestion by Alexander Wirt and loosely based on his patch.