Tim,

> I've got a bunch of different domains, and some of them have aliases.
>
> For example, domain.com should share the same settings with domain.net,
> domain.org, and anotherdomain.com
>
> The users have aliases.  So fl...@domain.com, might also use
> first_l...@domain.com, first_l...@domain.org, fl...@anotherdomain.com.
>
> I don't want to add separate entries for every possible variation into the
> users table.

If using amavisd in a post-queue filtering setup, one way of avoiding
the problem is to let an MTA perform all the necessary mappings
before content filtering. That would mean using virtual alias maps,
instead of plain aliases, as the later are only interpreted by a
local delivery agent.

> Has anyone else tackled this?  I think we're going to need to create
> domain, domain_alias, localpart and localpart alias tables, aren't we?
> And then somehow adjust the amavisd-new query, right?
>
> I'd love to hear from anyone else who has dealt with this.

It should be possible to do it with some SQL magic, adjusting
the $sql_select_policy, if user data and mappings are already
available in SQL. I haven't attempted it yet.