Patrick,

> I need to copy unaltered messages for debugging purposes and I can't do it
> before amavis gets a hand on them. I know amavis adds a received header and
> that I can turn this off using the following setting:
>
>   $allowed_added_header_fields{lc('Received')} = 0;
>
> With the exception of spam headers and release messages with special release
> headers would amavis alter a message that renters the SMTP server (Postfix)
> in any other way? If it would could I turn this off?

The least changed message is the one that ends up in a quarantine.
It only has few header fields prepended, the rest is intact.

One variation of a quarantine is an archive quarantine, with its
own $archive_quarantine_method and $archive_quarantine_to settings.
These can be directed to a dedicated directory, or to a file,
or even sent back to a MTA for further delivery to a dedicated
mailbox (of course this one is subject to MTA transforms, if any).

Try:
  $archive_quarantine_method = 'local:archive/%m.gz';

or to deliver to an MTA:
  $archive_quarantine_method = 'smtp:[127.0.0.1]:10025';
  @archive_quarantine_to_maps = ( 'arch...@example.com' );

See also:
  http://www.ijs.si/software/amavisd/amavisd-new-docs.html#quarantine

It is also possible to use $always_bcc which adds another secret
recipient, much like the Postfix' equivalent, but this goes through
a regular chain, like clearing standalone CR characters, removing
old X-Spam-* header fields, etc.  And it only applies to passed
messages.