> I don't want to fight spam with p0f. My primary concern is to find out
> what sort of clients connect to my MX'es and use this information for
> statistical reasons. Is the detection good enough for that?

I believe it is quite good in discriminating Win from Unices.

But then, this is about a recent MacOS version:

    Linux 2.6 (newer, 2) [tos Bredband Scandinavia] (up: -1845493760 hrs),
(link: pppoe (DSL)), [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:xxxx]

Well, this time it is exact this is from a PPPoE DSL link. But also this
data is not reliably exact.

This is another MacOS. Probably an older release.

    FreeBSD 6.x (1) [tos Bredband Scandinavia] (up: -16777216 hrs), (link:
GPRS, T1, FreeS/WAN), [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:xxxx]

Well, here p0f may have spotted a MacOS (some kind of BSD Unix), but the
link isn't right.

Results are somehow fuzzy. Which is why I prefer to not rely on them.

Giampaolo