There needs to be a name for the phenomena where, when we have a wrong default
(e.g., mutable method parameters), every time a new language context comes up
where new code will be written, it seems overwhelmingly tempting to say “but
surely we can flip the default for _them_.”  (We saw the same thing with
“lambda parameters should be implicitly final.”)

It’s always good to knock on this door, but most of the time the door is locked
by the latch of either migration compatibility, or complexity management, or
both.  In this case (as with lambda parameters), I think it’s both.

The more differences there are between a record and the equivalent boilerplate,
the more pain users will have migrating between them.  And a rule like this is
an isolated fact that users have to carry around, rather than a general rule —
increasing the complexity of the language semantics.

I would love to get to “trust final fields” everywhere — that’s a rule that
neither gets in the way of migration nor an isolated fact you have to keep
track of separately.  (In fact, its really just what you would expect.)  So I
share your goal, but I don’t think this is the train that goes there.