I really like in the syntax proposed by Jim the fact that the single quote " is
retconned to allow several lines,
it seems the easiest thing to do if we just want to introduce a multi-lines
literal string.

>From that, i agree that the more lines you have, the more you need to have a
>way to defines raw strings because it's far easier to read,
i'm fine with """ meaning raw string, like ", """ will allow single line
strings and multi-line strings.

I disagree with Brian that we should try to have an intelligent algorithm to
remove the blank spaces because i see several possible intelligent algorithms,
so i think it's better to keep things simple (another interesting question is
should this intelligent algorithm applied only on the escapable strings or on
the raw strings too ?).
Obviously, it means users will be frustrated to not have an intelligent
algorithm to remove the blank spaces but i think the code will be more readable
using a lazy static final,
by example

  private lazy static final String aText = """
    + This is the first sentence of the comment
    + this is the second sentence
    """.alignUsingCharacter("+");

(note that we don't need the compiler to fold the method call here, it can be
done by the condy BSM (implementing the lazy static final) and when we will
revisit the BSM protocol, we may add a way to read a constant without storing
it in the runtime constant pool representation so the intermediary string
doens't have to be stored at runtime).

Rémi