On 23/04/2021 16:38, Brian Goetz wrote:
So, I think the "a switch only accepts null if the letters n-u-l-l are present", while a comforting move in the short term, buys us relatively little, and dulls our pain receptors which in turn makes it take way longer to learn how patterns really work.  I think we should go back to:

 - A switch accepts null if (a) one of the case labels is `null` or (b) the switch has a total pattern (which must always be the last case.)

The proposal seems ok; it does nothing for the problem I'm concerned about (e.g. type of the target expression changing and influencing the totality analysis at a distance) - but that was not address by the previous proposal either (as you say in your email, admittedly, I was reading too much into your proposal).

Stepping back - my general feeling on this topic is that the audience in this mailing list have a very intimate knowledge of what a "total pattern" is, to the point that they are comfortable building on top of this definition to e.g. define null behavior of patterns. I'm a little afraid that the finer detail of totality might be lost on the average Joe developer: totality is a much more slippery concept than it seems. Sure, there is one obvious way to make your pattern total: if the target expression has type E, then add a type test pattern whose type is also E. That seems easy enough. Except that, the type of E will not always be that manifest in user code (e.g. might be the result of what javac happens to infer on Tuesdays). And, if you mix this with sealed classes, it might be possible for a switch to go from total to non-total, as new permitted subtypes are added to a sealed hierarchy. These might all be all corner cases - but I think it's this complexity which contributes to my "isn't this all too subtle?" feeling.

Obviously I'm well aware that nearly every path has been explored, and no silver bullet seems to be laying around, so... this might just be the best we can offer, and that's ok.

Cheers
Maurizio