I think it will be more clear when we will introduce patterns on local variable
declaration because those will only allow some patterns but not all.

> None of this is really all that much about "how do people like it". But what I
> do think people will like is that they get a simple rule out of switches:
> "switches throw on null unless the letters n-u-l-l appear in the switch body".
> And a simple rule for instanceof: "instanceof never evaluates to true on
> null".
> And that these rules are *independent of patterns*. So switch and instanceof
> can be understood separately from patterns.
It's not about how people like it but how people rationalize it. You can say
"switches throw on null unless the letters n-u-l-l appear in the switch body"
or "switches throw on null unless a null-friendly pattern appear in the switch
body and this is also true for nested patterns".
Both are valid approach.

RĂ©mi