Thank you Alex.

On 07/02/2022, Deucher, Alexander <alexander.deuc...@amd.com> wrote:
> [AMD Official Use Only]
>
> Most of the register programming in evergreen_gpu_init is required.  That
> code handles things like harvesting (e.g., disabling bad hardware resources)
> and setting sane asic specific settings in some registers.  If you don't do
> it, work may get scheduled to bad or incorrectly configured hardware blocks
> which will lead to hangs or corrupted results.  You can probably skip some
> of them, but I don't remember what is minimally required off hand.  It's
> generally a good idea to re-initialize those registers anyway in case
> someone has previously messed with them (e.g., manual register munging or
> GPU passed through to a VM etc.).

Understood.

> Posting the bios is enough to get you a working memory controller and enough
> asic setup to light up displays (basically what you need for pre-OS
> console).  As Christian mentioned, loading the ucodes will get the
> associated engines working so that you can start feeding commands to the
> GPU, but without proper configuration of the various hardware blocks on the
> GPU, you may not have success in feeding data to the GPU.

Understood. I think I wanted a confirmation that the steps I took so far are not
completely incorrect and may be just enough to see some GPU activity,
before I spend more effort programming other blocks. The feedback and a small
but working test helps restore the motivation.

Thanks,
Amol