On 11/13/23 10:18, Simon Ser wrote:

>>> I see it only checking if FB_ID changes or not. If it doesn't
>>> change then the implication is that the side effects will in
>>> fact be skipped as not all planes may even support async flips.
>>
>> Hm right. So the problem is that setting any prop = same value as
>> previous one will result in a new page-flip for asynchronous page-flips,
>> but will not result in any side-effect for asynchronous page-flips.
>>
>> Does it actually matter though? For async page-flips, I don't think this
>> would result in any actual difference in behavior?
>
> To sum this up, here is a matrix of behavior as seen by user-space:
>
> - Sync atomic page-flip
>   - Set FB_ID to different value: programs hw for page-flip, sends uevent
>   - Set FB_ID to same value: same (important for VRR)
>   - Set another plane prop to same value: same

A page flip is programmed even if FB_ID isn't touched?

>   - Set another plane prop to different value: maybe rejected if modeset
> required
> - Async atomic page-flip
>   - Set FB_ID to different value: updates hw with new FB address, sends
>     immediate uevent
>   - Set FB_ID to same value: same (no-op for the hw)

No-op implies it doesn't trigger scanning out a frame with VRR, if scanout is
currently in vertical blank. Is that the case? If so, async flips can't
reliably trigger scanning out a frame with VRR.

--
Earthling Michel Dänzer            |                  https://redhat.com
Libre software enthusiast          |         Mesa and Xwayland developer